Nine people have been confirmed dead in the aftermath of the collapse of a 12-story condominium complex in Surfside, Florida three days ago.
Miami-Dade Mayor Danielle Levine Cava announced during a Sunday morning news conference in Seaside, that four additional bodies had been recovered from the rubble and one person had died at a hospital after four bodies had previously been recovered from the scene. The remains of four had been identified early Sunday, according to Miami Dade Fire Rescue, and Levine Cava said they have notified next of kin.
At least 152 people remained unaccounted for and 134 others were accounted for as crews continue to search after more than half the building, about 55 units, collapsed. Levine Cava added that families of those announced dead or unaccounted for will be allowed to visit the site, ad said officials are having “very frank conversations” with the families about the possibility of finding no more survivors.
Crews have been searching through the rubble since the sudden collapse of the 12-story Champlain Towers in Surfside, about 3 miles north of Miami Beach. The City of Miami Beach declared a state of emergency on Sunday noting that Champlain Towers is “steps away from the city’s northernmost border” with Surfside. Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett said residents in the condominium’s sister building would be provided support to relocate in light of the collapse.
Editorial credit: Felix Mizioznikov / Shutterstock.com